Natural Language Understanding
"Hierarchies" of Understanding
Humans can understand languages on multiple “levels”.
- These levels are not mutually exclusive!
- Many NLP tasks require understanding at multiple levels (e.g., translation).
- These levels are here for organizing the tasks.
Syntax: sequence tagging
Semantics: vector embedding
Understanding the commonse
GPT-3 davinci-001 shows some evidence of understanding on commonsense.
Understand the Pragmatics
- Same sentence, different effects to different audience
- High-context culture vs low-context culture